ANC activists stage protest in front of Armenian Prosecutor General’s Office
16:50 • 10.08.12
Activists of the opposition bloc Armenian National Congress (ANC) staged a protest on Friday in front of Armenia’s Prosecutor General’s Office.
The protesters’ demands are as follow: acquitting four of the ANC activists – Artak Karapetyan, David Kiramijyan, Sargis Gevorgyan and Tigran Arakelyan; releasing Tigran Arakelyan, said the ANC activist Zaruhi Hovhannisyan.
ANC activists intend to stage protests in front of the Prosecutor General’s Office every Friday.
Hovhannisyan noted that one of the ANC’s demands had been satisfied: Areg Gevorgyan, Vahagn Gevorgyan and Sahak Muradyan had been acquitted.
“Our fourth demand is punishing the policemen that used violence against the young men and their lawyers. And our fifth demand is punishing the policemen that gave false evidence against the young men,” Hovhannisyan said.
One of the protesters, Vardges Gaspari, crossed the street at stood at the entrance to the Prosecutor General’s Office building.
An incident involving young ANC members and policemen occurred on August 9, 2011. The activists were detained.
On July 20, 2012, Tigran Arakelyan was sentenced to six years’ imprisonment. The other ANC activists were sentenced to 3- and 2-year imprisonment.
LATEST NEWS • All Today news
Most popular articles
11:10 • 24/05
10:51 • 24/05
08:42 • 24/05
12:46 • 24/05
13:08 • 24/05
12:40 • 24/05
09:36 • 24/05
10:39 • 24/05
11:33 • 24/05
13:26 • 24/05
- Prince Charles invited to Armenia
- Pre-parliament activist says cooperation with Heritage leader possible
- Gas price hike Russia’s sanction against Armenia – oppositionist
- Your generation’s success is our enthusiasm, says Yerevan mayor
- Russia’s Sakhalin region rattled by 8.2 quake, Moscow hit by aftershocks
- Golden Apricot 10th jubilee international film festival to take place in Armenia, July 7 to 14
- Tolkien's "The Fall of Arthur" poem published 40 years after his death
- Britain's Tate museum sets $34m record for Constable painting
- Georges Moustaki, composer of Edith Piaf hit song, dies
- Lennon lyrics donated to British Library for tax relief